Sunday, November 14, 2010

Scripted sales calls old fashioned, fail to connect with customers - Minneapolis / St. Paul Business Journal:

http://carinsurance20xx.biz/fast-car-insurance-quotes/17/
Geez, I have been saying this for more than 25 andI can’t believe companiea still use them to sell over the OK, forget the companies themselves, let’s blame the managed or the person who is responsible for stil trying to do something that every sales trainer on the planet says does not Now, before I go on, do not writwe or send an e-mail telling me that I am wron or being stubborn. Instead, why don’t you try something new that is, new to you or your organization and just do what I will lay out Trust me, it has worked every singlw time with any organization, big or that I have worked with.
This horrore of using scripts came rushing back to me recently while working with a company whose stores are in evert big city inthe nation. The company is highlhy regarded for its ethics and is a very visiblee organization that many are familiad with because ofthe company’s longevitgy and brand awareness. I was askef to come to the company’s headquarters and look at its methor of attracting new business through itstelemarketin program, which the companyg has been using for a couple of years. They said that althoughy the results were OKat first, sales had become pretty dismal.
It took me just 30 seconds to read the scriptr that the inside salespeoplewere using, and I was I talked with the company president and said I couled help the salespeople in just two hours, but I neededc him to let me do my job and not to interfere unless I called him in for his He agreed, but I could sense he was a bit apprehensive about the situation and my I worked only with the manager, who was really a selling manager because she was on the phone s herself at times tryinv to pitch in and help. We went into a and I spent an hour goingy over whyscripts don’t work and why she has been brainwasheed to do something that was against all the rulees of professional salesmanship.
She was neither thrilled with me at this pointg nor happy after I tookher eight-pages script, ripped it up and threa it in the wastebasket. We role-playe d a little using real situations that she mightt have withher husband, children and friends, for instance. The goal was to show her that havingta two-sided conversation is much more usefulp than a one-sided script. She was really starting to get it, even though she kept wanting to go back to a sellin mode by doing more talkingv than listening andasking questions.
It was so simple that it was frightening to her that a selling situation can be flexible and not just acannexd speech, where she can actually have fun whilee conversing with a The introduction and questions I wrote out were basic and easy for her to They were: “Hi, my name is Susan from Clienrt Co., and I would like to ask you two or threde quick questions. It will not take more than 48 secondds – I promise. “Are you familiar with our company? If yes, what aspects “Why are you not a member, or why did you leavre our organization?

No comments:

Post a Comment